Monday, February 6, 2012

A New Recipe to share

So yesterday, I had a hankering for some soup.  I knew I had some precooked italian sausage in the fridge and some totellini in the pantry.  So I pulled them out and added a few other ingredients and ended up with what my husband called "the BEST thing he has ever eaten."  I have to think that may be a bit of an overstatement, but even I have to admit that it was REALLY good.  SO I thought I would share the recipe with all of my friends.

Best Ever Sausage & Tortellini Soup

Ingredients:
3 cups cooked Italian sausage
3 cups uncooked tortellini
4 cups water
1 can evaporated milk
6 chicken boullion cubes
1 tbsp. oregano
1 tbsp. parsley
1 tbsp. chives
salt & pepper to taste
parmesan cheese

Put all ingredients except tortellini in medium size sauce pan and bring to boil.  Allow to simmer about 15 minutes.  Add tortellini and allow to boil according to pasta pkg. instructions.  Sprinkle with freshly grated parmesan cheese and serve.

See my next post up for a variation of this soup using potatoes instead of tortellini.  It is delicious too!!!

54 comments:

  1. This was very good! I added some red pepper, mushrooms, and spinach so that I could pretend it was healthy. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,
    Are the herbs dried or fresh? Also, i find that if i boil the noodles in the actual soup... They soak up all the liquid and then there is barely any broth/soup ??? Am I doing something wrong here

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to guess they're dried. If you are using fresh herbs you'd need to triple the measurements... and 1 tbs doesn't seem like much.

      Delete
    2. Some store's have a section were there's tortellini in packages.

      Delete
  3. Tortellini in the pantry? Isn't tortellini usually stuffed with cheese and in the refrigerated part of the grocery store to stay fresh? Or am I thinking of something else?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. Pantry, fridge...same thing.

      Delete
    2. Some tortellini is dried and sold in bags that don't need to be refrigerated and can be in the pantry. Others are fresh and need to go in the fridge.

      Delete
  4. Sorry Ladies, I've been having some computer issues this week and have not been able to respond. So here are responses to all of the above comments.

    I love the idea of adding veggies. The mushrooms especially sound like a good addition to me.

    I did use the dried herbs and as for the pasta soaking up all the broth. I have not expereinced that. You could try adding a bit more water and boullion cubes to match added water. I use the buatoni past that can be found fresh in the dairy section of the grocery store.

    And yes, the totellini is refrigerated most of the time, however, I have found a brand of dried at Sams Club that I happened to have on hand when I first made this soup. I have found I prefer the fresh ones in the refrigerated section though since then.

    Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow...delicious. I made this for dinner tonight and it was as easy as it was delicious. I had cooked sausage and tortellini already in the freezer along with steamed yellow squash and sauteed portabello mushrooms I froze a few weeks ago so I added them for extra fiber. Wonderful!! This will be a definite repeat in my house.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was delicious and easy! We will definitely be making it again. Thanks for the recipe. (I didn't have chives and subbed 1 green onion in its place. Also, I only added 1 lb. of sausage because it is just me and the hubs and it was just perfect.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just made this tonight... it was WAY too salty! (and I'm in the South!) I was wondering if anyone lowered the amount of chicken boullion? I'm thinking that's the reason for the saltiness. Will try next time with less boullion.
    Thanks for a tasty idea...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably because of the boullion cubes. They are generally high in sodium and usually you use 1 cube per 1 cup of water. This recipe used 6 cubes and only 4 cups of water. Try using cubes with a lower sodium content or substitute chicken broth or stock. Be sure to taste before adding any salt. Depending on what you use it may not need any more.

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just made this for Christmas dinner tonight.... I had to make a few variations due to the ingredients I had on hand but it turned out wonderful!! I used spicy Hot sausage, and sauteed an onion and 8 oz of fresh mushrooms. I used canned low sodium beef broth instead of chicken boullion cubes and added 1 chipolte boullion cube for some added spice. I did use the dried tortellini and it did absorb most of the liquid by the time they were cooked so I just added 2 more 14 oz cans of beef broth. I didn't have any evaporated milk on hand either so I used half & half after I was done boiling the soup to cook the pasta. The soup was more brothy than creamy, so I added a jar of queso cheese dip to thcken it up, and added 4 cups of fresh spinach just before serving and turned out PERFECT!!! thanks so much for the inspiration, this will definitely be added to my list of favorite repeat recipes with my twisted version of variations!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the recipe, the family enjoyed this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loved it! Just to avoid the problem of not having enough liquid, I boiled the dry, frozen tortellini first. I also added a can of tomato sauce. My husband loved it too!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Delicious!! I've already made it twice and it was amazing! It's almost like the soup from Olive Garden that has the sausage and kale in it, so I added some kale to my second batch and it was wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I made this for dinner tonight. I only made a couple slight changes to make it easier for me. I used 2 cans chicken stock (instead of chicken bouillon) and half and half(instead of evaporated milk). My kiddos ate it all! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Husband loved this! I used the Knorr condensed broth/stock instead of bouillon, added mushroom, spinach, green onion and a hint of red bell pepper. I used fresh parsley & had no trouble with liquid levels. Happy husband! Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yum! I made this with better than boullion chicken flavor instead of cubes and a bunch of spinach. Also made a batch of 7-up biscuits recipie from pintrest. Amazing how ez they both were. And sooo delicious! U have to try this soup!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This was way too salty for me - did I do something wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Made this yesterday and my daughter and I loved this!!! Everyone else either didn't like it or it was just ok but that won't stop me from making it again :)
    Yes was on the salty side,maybe use low sodium chicken boulion instead next time and would like to try peppers and mushrooms. I did use hot sausage which is probabley why it was on the spicier side but oh so good! Also added onion,and half chicken broth and half water and added spinach as well. It was wonderful and thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. made this for a lunch the other day with some cheesy bread , what a good combo. I also used chicken Italian sausage and 3 cheese tortellini.
    My 2 young sons did not care for it, but every one else. Made for a quick lunch and a good, quick left meal a few days later.

    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  19. i made this today.. very tasty but mine isnt a reddish color like the picture?? any idea why?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's most likely due to the type of sausage you used. I often use Spolumbo's spicy chicken sausage, which has a lot of red pepper flakes already added and find this changes the color of my cream sauces :-)

      Delete
  20. This looks delicious!! I can't wait to try it! Does anyone know how much '3 cups cooked Italian Sausage" would be in pounds??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure but I used 1 roll of Hot Tennesse Pride sausage and the soup had plenty of sausage even though I don't think it was 3 cups.

      Delete
  21. I made this tonight and we loved it! I did change a few things. I added fresh mushrooms, red bell pepper and baby spinach. I used chicken stock instead of boullion and I used hot sausage and added some pepper flakes to give it it little zing. I also added a little extra stock and used 1/2 cup of half and half instead of evaporated milk. It was amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Can you make this in the crockpot?

    ReplyDelete
  23. I just made this for dinner and I love it!!!! I added spinach and didn't have some of the seasonings on hand so I used an Italian seasoning mix. I love it! It's soooo good! I added extra chicken stock to make it more soup like and only used 4 bouillon cubes with 2 cups of water. I used about 5 cups of stock. it was so good!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I thought this soup was EXCELLENT!

    ReplyDelete
  25. As a lover of great tasting food I am suggesting replacing the bouillon cubes with MINOR'S chicken base found at BJ's Wholesale stores. It also comes in Beef base. This is what FIVE STAR restaurants use to make their soups. It is delicious and I make all my soups with it. You will not be sorry you bought this product. All my daughters use it now. You use 1 TBSP. chicken base to ONE QUART of water and the flavor is outstanding. Note: When you bring the container home refrigerate it until you use it. The 16 0z.[1 lb.] container costs $5.99 and is worth every penny.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I made the following changes: added sautéed onions, mushrooms, and garlic. I used 5 cups of chicken stock instead of the cubes, and heavy cream instead of the evaporated milk. It needed more salt and the tortellini soaked up a lot of the juice, but it still was tasty. I'd cook it again.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I used hot Italian Turkey sausage browned it with some onion and garlic...I also added frozen peas and fresh spinach! Very tasty thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  28. I made this! Very tasty! Be warned: VERY SALTY!! I added two extra cups of water and it was still salty.

    I uncased the sausage and browned it with diced onions and garlic. Added all the ingredients and added red peppers. Next time I make it I'll definitely add chicken broth instead of cubes and add more veges :)

    Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Can this be made in the crock pot?

    ReplyDelete
  30. I made this for my family last night, we all thought it was pretty good. I think next time I'll add mushrooms and a little velveeta to make it a little more chessey.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Delicious! The changes I made were...
    -I used 2 pkgs. mild Italian sausage chunked into medium pieces and
    browned lightly
    -8 oz. mushrooms chopped into small even pieces
    -1/2 medium chopped into small even pieces
    -5 cloves garlic, chopped
    -After cooking sausage, remove and drain on paper towels
    -Use oil from sausage to saute mushrooms, onions, and garlic
    -Add 1 large container of chicken broth and one large container of
    chicken stock and bring to a boil...or enough to make the right amount
    for soup. I added as I went, but ended up using all of both...add 1 Tbs.
    oregano and a dash of basil
    -Boil a large package of refrigerated tortellini...I boiled 1/2 in soup and
    1/2 in water so they would not soak up all of the broth/stock in the pot
    -Put all cooked tortellini in soup pot and add 1 pint whipping cream
    -Serve topped with a little parmesan cheese and garlic bread on the
    side
    -I did not use water, boullion, evaporated milk, parsley, or chives

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read over my comments after posting and need to mention that I used 2 one pound pkgs of ground Italian sausage .
      The next thing says 1/2 medium ___________ chopped.... Well, that is an onion I failed to type!
      The large container of chicken broth is 32 oz. I believe...it's Swanson, in a carton-like container, not a can. Same with the chicken stock.


      Delete
  32. Made this tonight. I love how quick and easy it is to make. Only takes a half hour start to finish, and there's nothing to cut up but a few chives. My fiance raved about it. It's a keeper recipe. Next time I make it, I'm going to substitute the 4c water and bouillon cubes with 4c boxed chicken stock, but in the least, I would suggest if you use the bouillon cubes to cut those back from 6 to 4 and eliminate the salt. The last few bites are a bit too salty.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Venison instead of sausage, cream instead of milk, broth instead of cubes, onions instead of chives.... Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Very quick and easy! I tweaked it a little as well. In my version I added mushroom,spinach,garlic,parsley,and basil to the sausage. Instead of condensed milk I used coconut milk to make it a little healthier. I also used knorr chicken flavor instead of bullion cubes. So delish and was a big hit at our house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *** correction...instead of evaporated milk I used coconut milk.***

      Delete
  35. Super good. I added kale to mine and onions. And I used half & half instead of evaporated milk.

    ReplyDelete
  36. How many servings does this make?

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hello! What size can of evaporated milk do you use? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I have made this soup several times and really enjoy. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  39. This has become a family favorite. Thanks for the inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Love this recipe!! How many people would you estimate this recipe serves?

    ReplyDelete